Best Dehydrator Reviews
It’s no surprise that food dehydrators are becoming increasingly popular. They’ve become one of the healthiest ways to consume food and avoid the harmful toxins that are packed in consumer bought foods. Recent studies have shown that dehydrating foods hold a high percentage of retaining the important vitamins and minerals in the food with the added benefit of preservation. Thus, owning a food dehydrator can help you create these delicious and healthy snacks in the comfort of your own home, and save money in the process (no longer need to purchase store-bought dried snacks). The best food dehydrator reviews will give you an excellent outlook on which products to look out for, which appliances fit your budget and which ones to avoid.
Many people are still unfamiliar with these fancy gadgets and it can seem quite a daunting process. Due to the high demand, many brands have made their way on to the market with their own designs and features. Unfortunately for you, it can make choosing a dehydrator quite complicated and create the fear of buying an appliance that isn’t right for you; so it’s always important to look at dehydrator reviews.
It’s absolutely vital that you properly research all of the products thoroughly and read all of the reviews available to you. The last thing you want to do, is spend lots of money on an appliance that is surplus to your requirements or doesn’t fit your daily need. Luckily for you, we have assembled the ultimate guide to buying the best food dehydrator on the market. We will cover the best products by price range, by brands and by features.
Benefits Of Food Dehydration
To summarise a dehydrator, it essentially removes moisture from the food for long preservation but retains most of the vitamins and minerals. According to the Energise of Life, dehydration retains almost 100% of vitamins while completely minmizing the growth of bacteria.
Today’s appliances remover around 75%-95% of moisture from the food. The Department of Nutrition states that properly dehydrated foods have a shelf life of up to 30 years. Which is pretty incredible considering the nutritional content that is preserved in the process. Remember, it’s always better to over-dry your produce than to under-dry. That’s why it’s important to have the best dehydrator.
Dehydrating foods goes way back to Ancient times, in those days it was essential to dry foods out in the sun to preserve them; dried foods were a staple of their diets. Dried sprouts and vegetables are packed full of fibre and low cholesterol fats which are great for people wanting to lose weight or brighten up their life.
Vitamin A and C are almost completely retained in the dehydration process, as are the minerals potassium, magnesium and selenium. Consuming these vitamins and minerals on a daily basis are absolutely vitalto maintaining ones health. One of the biggest advantages to owning a dehydrator are those who are on a diet. Instead of divulging on unhealthy chips, candy and soda, one can entertain themselves buy creating healthy, delicious dried banana chips, dried strawberries or even homemade yogurt.
Another huge advantage of owning a food dehydrator is the possibility of introducing your children to more healthy foods. They are a great way to bring the 5-a-day in to a childs diet. Best of all, you can allow your child to take part in the dehydration process and selection of foods to try – it’s a fun way to bring extra healthy activities in to the family life.
Reputable Brands To Look Out For
Understandably, picking out a new purchase can be extremely difficult when there’s so many options. After a quick dehydrator search, you’ll discover tons of products and tons of brands. The last thing you want, is to buy a low quality product that doesn’t meet your standards or over pay. On our website we will cover some honest reviews on reputable brands that are in the dehydration market. They are:
- Nesco. They are part of the Metal Ware corporation that was founded in 1920. Their products are known for durability and budget-friendly nature. They often have emphatic reviews and are proud to say that their products are made in the USA. Some are their best products include the Snackmaster Pro and the Nesco American Harvest.
- Excalibur. All products are made in Sacramento, California. This company specializes in premium products at affordable prices. They’re usually big in size and often absolute top quality products. They use the box design and the special horizontal heating systems. With Excalibur, you know you’re always buying a quality product made in the USA. Some of their best products include the Excalibur 3926TBand the Excalibur 9 Tray Stainless Steel.
- Presto. One of the most reliable brands in the industry. They specialize is affordable products that are of highest quality. Their products are optimized for dehydrating fruit, vegetables, spices, herbs and jerky. Their products are often very small in size and low-budget. Presto’s most popular appliance is the Presto Dehydro.
- Waring. They are an extremely reputable brand across the kitchen appliance industry. They’re known for introducing the first Blender in to the American market. Founded by Fred Waring in the 1930’s, they specialise in very durable and high quality products. Their dehydrators are of premium quality and always have excellent dehydrator reviews. Their most popular dehydrator in the market is the Waring Pro DHR30.
Best Food Dehydrator Reviews
You’ll be glad to know, that if you’re on a tight budget, there are plenty of options available. Dehydrators come in every price range. Starting at around $40 all the way to over $400. Like any market, you get what you pay for and the price reflects on the amount of features and quality of product. Luckily for you, we’ve complied this list by price range and hopefully you can find the best dehydrator.
It’s worth knowing that you should look out for three features when looking for the best dehydrator. You should look for:
- Heat distribution. How effective is the machine and dry foods? How long will it take? The cheaper models use vertical heating system which works quite well. The more expensive models use horizontal heating which is optimal for dehydration. Horizontal heating is recommended if you can afford the extra cost.
- Capacity. How many trays can the machine hold? The best machines have expandable features, which will allow you to insert more trays if you desire. Look out for large capacities if you want to make lots of tasty food at once for future storing.
- Extra Features. Does the dehydrator come with an adjustable thermostat or timer? Most of the cheaper models don’t come with a timer – so you’ll have to use your own. Again, the cheaper models don’t often don’t come with adjustable thermostats but do have very good temperature ranges. Opt for an expensive model if you want complete control over your food.
Price Range: Under $50
Editors Pick: Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
The Presto 6300 is considered the ultimate low-budget dehydrator that is packed full of positive reviews. You’ll see plenty of positive dehydrator reviews on Amazon. Delivered in frustration-free packaging and comes with 4 plastic trays. The trays are perfectly dishwasher safe and very easy to clean. You won’t need to be scubbing them for hours – that’s for sure. It comes equipped with a vertical heat system that distributes the heat centrally and upwards. Vertical heat systems aren’t recommended for those who are serious about dehydrating but it will do the job. As you can image, foods placed on the bottom will be dried quicker than those on top.
It has an expandable feature that allows up to 8 trays in total – which is a great feature to have on such a cheap appliance. It comes with a transparent lid which is brilliant for checking on your food, you won’t have to keep pulling off the lid to check on your food which leads to some serious heat loss.
It costs under $40 and is the perfect machine for beginners or those on a strict budget. It’s efficient, low in noise and very easy to clean.